Monday, June 2, 2008

Thesis Review 6/2/2008

After a constructive meeting with my thesis advisory today and input from affinity members the following points were brought to my attention:

1) I need to make my story clearer. The presentation of progress Saturday will contain updated items which strengthens my thesis position about the watercolor museum.

2)How are the elements of design related to my thesis. It was not made clear at the opening presentation the reason for my form. My answer should have clearly stated that design is based on the watercolor kits which contained colored cubes on a palettes and have a mixing pan along the bottom. This allows the mixing of colors. The relationship of mixing is synonomous with the Roman Caro which was the" hinge" of the city. The space allows the entry of light art and movement through the building. The radiating galleries are off the Art Cardo and house the permanent collection of water color art.

3) I must convince the audience that my proposal is significant to THEM. It is not enought to provide a personal relationship of this building to myself, but rather to extend the true function of this building to the needs of a greater audience. Statistics provide a demand for a new museum of American watercolor but the timing of the facility is also at steak here.

4) I have to bring out the quality of space in my presentation. I have used many hand drawn images and plans, however, it must clearly reflect my thesis.

5) Critics "don't listen" as much as they look at the images which are presented. My thesis must speak through the visual images and be clear. When the final presentation occurs it will be less about what I say as about what I show them.

6) I must be prepared with what I show and say to back-up my ideas.
To date their have been many people who I have solicited their comments. Some have been supportive and some have offered their criticism. However, I find that that unless someone is actively engaged in following the evolution of my design.

The following comments were part of my critique on 5/31/2008

1) The Scale of my building is good

2) Be explicit about my theory "give it to me"!

3) Watercolor is space and volume which bleeds into one another. The building should reflect this quality.

4) The building should feel comfortable. People should want to experience the watercolors in a meaningful space.

5) Zoning of the building needs to be expressed.

6) How does the paintings related to the punctured openings in the building envelope.

7) The word is Axonometric - a true scale three dimensioned fixture that reveals space.

8) How is building specific to watercolor art rather than other art forms i.e. sculpture?

9) Show more site analysis.

10) Why the "E" configuration of the building? The portable watercolor kit see note 2 in the first section.

11) Show solar data and information in the final presentation to back up the attention to details for design.

12)Play up the hinge idea as an important part of the organization of the building.

No comments: